Pastelitos de Pollo
• 2 pounds of Boneless Chicken Thighs
• 2 tablespoon or Rice Vinegar
• 2 cups of Corn Flour
• 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
• 1 cup of Warm Water
• 1 tablespoon of Seasoned Annatto
• 3 tablespoon of Olive Oil
• 2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
• 1 cup of Frying Oil
• 1 Diced Potato
• 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
• ½ Diced Red Onion
• ½ Green Pepper
• 4 Cloves of Minced Garlic
• 1 teaspoon of Oregano
• 1 Bay Leaf
• ½ cup of Red Wine
• ½ cup of Spicy Chimol
• Mixed Cabbage
• Season chicken thighs with 1 tbsp of rice vinegar, salt and pepper.
• Heat olive oil in skillet on medium/high heat.
• Saute chicken in skillet, and add red onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.
• Add red wine, worcestershire sauce, oregano, bay leaf and chicken broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
• Add potato, cook for additional 10 minutes or until potato is soft.
• Combine mixed cabbage, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in bowl. Refrigerate.
• In a seperate bowl, mix corn flour, water, baking soda, annatto, salt and pepper. If mix feels too dry, add water.
• Form ball in hand and press down to form small tortilla.
• Add tablespoon of chicken mixture to each tortilla, fold in half to form pastelito shape. Use fork to seal edges.
• Add frying oil to seperate pot and heat to 350 degrees.
• Cook pastelito in oil until crispy.
• Serve two pastelitos topped with mixed cabbage and with side of Spicy Chimol.
You can find this recipe, and many more in my cookbook Honduran Kitchen. Now on Amazon.